Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An Ode

Banner Self Service

This is a system that needs help -
a little service for itself -
For while I sit here, my breath bated
my poor computer sure is hated
on by Banner Self Service.

Neither Firefox nor Safari
can get juice enough to see
through the maelstrom of requests
that Banner wears close to the vest,
Allowing us access, pretending we're set-
then chuckling and casting us out from the 'net.

Perhaps the problem is, in fact, this:
All of us, wile not registering, Banner does miss
and in attempts to make us stay
makes us curse the light of day
that creeps across the windowsill-
It's only 20 minutes! Be still!

So when next at your computer you sit
do pay Banner a brief visit
Look at your classes, or how much you own
try changing your name to 'Suzie', or 'Joe'
Through our attentions, perhaps B will see
That we love it, and it won't hate me!


Hahaha! I wrote this at the beginning of the semester while trying to register for classes - 'Banner' is the name of the system that Wellesley uses for this purpose, and while the server is certainly large enough to handle the sporadic requests throughout the semester, the sudden onslaught of demands while the whole college (well, each class) is registering usually overloads it, so it will look like it's just taking a really long time to process your request - but ACTUALLY nothing is happening at all, and you have to start from scratch.
This can be stressful because registration works on a first come, first serve basis, so if you need a particular section of a class because it's the only one that fits into your schedule (or say, want to avoid the Friday afternoon lab period) and everyone else wants it too... well, if Banner doesn't want you to have it, chances are it will kick you off. By the time you make it back on, it'll probably be full.
But! But! This morning, I registered for classes and it was SO EASY! Whether this was because my year-mates forgot that this morning was registration or because they did something with the number of requests Banner can process at any one time, I do not know. All I did was type in my courses, click 'ok' (or whatever that button says), and poof! There it all was! (normally there are around 20 minutes of edge-of-your-seat anticipation, but not this morning!)
Amazing.
So, I'm currently registered to take the following classes in the spring:
Geos 200 w/lab (historical geology)
Chem 105 w/lab (intro chemistry)
Italian 102 (second segment of the year-long italian program)
Music 235 (or some number like that) <- This should be interesting; it's a class on 'the orchestral instrument'. Really, I wanted to take theory, but the italian class messes with what I can and can't take - as the second segment, it's required otherwise I don't get credit for the first segment, and there are only 2 sections offered, so there aren't that many options. It's possible that another theory class will get put together though, in which case I will most definitely take it (provided it fits). Especially because this class meets Tuesdays and Fridays from 2:30-4:00, which is fine, it just... you know. If I want to go home, it means that I can't leave until 4. Ah well! Things can still change.
Wahoo! I'm registered!

(and I've also decided not to go to italian this morning. does that mean I can cross off 'declare your own personal lake day' on the list of 50 things? heh)

:D

No comments: