Sunday, March 16, 2008

Train

churning underneath
      like pedal tones to life
storm clouds
   rain crying across the windows
   gray-green hills rolling by me
             I stand still.
                     Watching.
           I wonder if the people know their lives are [passing] by my train.
        rushing.
          [chugging].
             leaping.
                Joyfully to an end.
  Rain crying on the windows
  Tears raining on my cheeks.
                        Endings.
My train
          -stands still-
gray-green clouds I'm underwater sunlight burns above the surface beams of light rebound above but clouds too dense for [penetration] keep the song from being heard and so
                    I ride the train.
  and the world goes on without me.
            chugging.
pedal tones to life.




[ ] denote words that I'm not exactly 100% happy with yet.



So, this is a song that I'm writing/that I've been writing for years. It's a piano composition that I've never been able to put onto paper because it keeps changing... but the basis of it always remains the same. The core of the piece never changes; the beginning is always the same. The notes for the sunlight are always the same. The image is always the same. My piano teacher told me that before I could write a piece of music, I had to visualize it. My image was this girl on a train, looking out a window at the world. It's cloudy out, and raining, and the country-side is passing her by - not the train passing the country by. It's the rain that gives it this feeling, rather than anything else. I don't know why it finally came out of me today - maybe it's the weather? But here it is. The text/poem above is my piece in words. Maybe this means that someday soon I'll be able to put the music on paper too.

P.S. Thanks to anita for "& n b s p" to make the formatting work out. even though it meant that I had to copy/paste like, 10,000 times. At least it looks mostly the way that I want it to!

P.P.S. I'm not depressed.

No comments: