Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On Badminton

Do you like badminton a lot? Do you ever wonder why? I've been wondering lately why I love badminton so much. I was talking about it with Dan yesterday, and I said all this stuff about how it's good because you can hang out with someone and not worry about talking a lot, but that was really in reference to a hanging-out that occurred earlier in the day that was a lot of work, and very taxing on my poorly exercised conversational skills.
But really, that has nothing to do with why I love badminton. So what is it? What is it about whacking a small object back and forth that is *so* much fun?
I think that it does have a lot to do with 'hanging-out', if you will. It's very companionable, especially if you and your badminton partner are able to get a semi-decent volley going. I love volleying. You can have a conversation AND play badminton at the same time! It's so relaxing, the series of 'I hit it/you hit it/I hit it', back and forth. Not to mention, it's easy. You don't even have to whack the birdie, you really just have to tap it. Unless your playing with my dad, to win. Then you should really put some power into that swing, but anyway.
Suddenly, I feel like I'm writing one of those prompts we had to do to prepare for the CMTs. Ew.
So here's what I love about badminton: It's fun. It's easy, but it does take some skill. You get to use your reflexes. It's a companion sport. It takes place outside, unless you have a really big room. Did I mention that it's fun? It makes me laugh.

Well, yeah. Ok. So, for anyone and everyone who has ever wondered why I love badminton so much (BRENDAN), there you go. Written down! 500 words or less! (I didn't count. I don't know if I made it.)

No comments: