Sunday, September 21, 2008

What if...

Time/space/the universe operates in a purely circular fashion? (I think I just mean time... but by extension the universe and space)
I was talking to Nea yesterday, and she was talking about her philosophy class in which her professor proved the existence of God - I can't remember the exact series of conclusions, but basically it was that because there is a beginning and an end, there must be a God which exists beyond our realm of understanding and thus has no beginning and no end - and there was also something about either God is necessary, or God is impossible, and because God is not impossible, God must be necessary - therefore God exists. (This all seems rather backwards and not exactly ok, but I won't go into that here)
Basically, the interesting thing is that this conversation made me think about all of the premises that nea's professor was using to prove that God exists - namely, that the universe has a beginning and and end. I'm not espousing this theory that I've come up with, it's just a thought that I wanted to put down on paper. Err. Yeah, you get it.
So! Here we go: what if the universe doesn't have a beginning or an end? What if time is circular? What then? We're making all of these assumptions about the universe that may or may not be true. There may not be an actual 'beginning' or 'end' of things. How this was manifest itself in the way that we perceive the world, I have no idea (so don't ask me!), but really. What if? Don't say that it's impossible yet -
It's kind of like thinking about light - nothing moves faster than light! Doesn't that sound like a ridiculous statement? How can nothing move faster than light? But nothing does. This is a set law about our universe that we've come to appreciate and accept. So what if the 'that's just the way things are' sort of thing applies to this too? So it doesn't fit into our understanding of time - but who's to say that it has to?
I don't know. I should think about this more.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

For what it's worth, the 'speed limit' c isn't a "just the way things are" -- it pops right out of relativity, and makes perfect sense once you look at what's happening. The problem is that anything with mass would require infinite energy to accelerate even to the speed of light, so there's no way in hell you could ever get past it. There's nothing arbitrary or capricious about it.

Also, fortunately for you and the universe, the sorts of neat logical pirouettes that underlie arguments like those mentioned for the existence of a god tend not to accomplish anything at all; you look really pretty while you're in the air, but then you just come crashing down and break your ankle anyway.

Nooreen said...

That's the problem with these thoughts of mine relating to physics - there's usually something fascinating just beyond the extent of what I know!
I guess I'm just going to have to do some serious reading and then rethink this!